Thursday, December 8, 2011

12 Days of Joy - Whose Face Will You Bring A Smile To

My husband and I have been talking a lot about our plans for Christmas this year. For some reason this Christmas season feels especially important to us. I think because my daughter is 4 and comprehends a whole lot more about this Christmas season. We also have a 3 years old son who likes to follow his big sister around. Their both enjoying the holiday TV shows and learning all about Santa and Rudolph. We are constantly singing Christmas Carols from the time we wake up to the time we go to bed.

Our main goal this year is to teach our children about the importance of giving. I remember growing up and Christmas to me was all about what I was going to get under the tree. I faintly remember us giving gifts to others but I don't think my parents stressed to us how important it was.

My daughter came home the other day from school with a small white paper bag. It had one gingerbread cookie that they made at school. On the bag was a note to me that said:

"We've read The Giving Tree in class this week and it talks about how giving something to someone can make us feel happy. We would like everyone to give their cookie to a neighbor, a friend, a family member, or someone your child is comfortable sharing with. It is never to early to teach the spirit of giving and we hope this is special for them. Every child will share the giving experience with the class."

My daughter of course was ready to share it with me so I could share the cookie with her. LOL... so cute, that made me laugh. I read the note to her and reminded her about the book she read in class. The first person who popped in my head to give the cookie to was our new neighbors and they also had a 4 year old girl. I think they moved in about 2 or 3 weeks ago. We've talked to them briefly just to say hi as we are walking to our car. So I thought this would be the perfect opportunity for my daughter to share the cookie with them.

We walked over to their house and knocked on the door. My daughter was holding the paper bag and as soon as the Mrs. opened her door my daughter hands the bag to her. Then she looks at the 4 year old girl and said "I made this for you". It was to cute and precious! It melted my heart. In the end... we have a play-date scheduled with them in the next coming week.

I'm so proud of my daughter but the giving doesn't end here. I have 3 nieces and 1 nephew all siblings under the age of 5 that don't have much (long story and to personal to go into it) so my husband and I told our children that our Christmas money this year will be going to them. We've been stalking up on all kinds of goodies and having our children help pick everything out. Of course just like the cookie... my children are ready to use the gifts for themselves but they are learning very quickly that these gifts are for their cousins and we can't wait to see their faces on Christmas.

12DAYSOFJOY


Lovely Renee over at Renee's Joy Journey is encouraging people to participate in crazy, fun random acts of kindness this month. Please come visit her blog for more information and help her spread the word. Get involved, bring a smile to the mouth, and a sparkle to the eye of some unsuspecting person too. May the joy begin!

ShareThis

Blog Hops Everyday Blog Hops Everyday
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...